Skip to main content


Academic Information for Study Away
Academic Information for Study Away

Buffalo State strives to offer academically relevant study abroad programs to SUNY students. Students from all majors are eligible to study abroad and earn degree credit. A critical piece of preparing to study abroad is considering your academics. The information below explains the process for receiving course approvals, the posting of credits, and enrollment policies as they pertain to study abroad and exchange programs. Students studying on Buffalo State or SUNY study abroad and exchange programs will receive resident credit for courses taken abroad. These courses will appear on your transcript and be calculated into your Buffalo State grade point average.

After you have conducted your research and identified a program (or a couple of programs) that interest you, you’ll want to set up a meeting with your academic advisor to discuss your plans to study abroad. Talking to your academic advisor is an essential part of the study abroad process, helping you ensure that you’ll stay on track with your degree and graduation requirements when you’re abroad. The Office of International Education is not able to advise on course equivalencies or substitutions—only your advisor and department chair can do that—so plan to meet with your advisor early in the planning process.


Back to Top

Study Away

1300 Elmwood Ave  •  South Wing 430 •  Buffalo, NY 14222
Phone: (716) 878-6834 •  Fax: (716) 878-3054